Clear Sky are looking for a strong leader to Chair our board.
What will you be doing?
We provide specialist Play & Creative Arts Therapy services to children, parents and teachers in schools across Oxon and Bucks. Our office is located in Little Wittenham, South Oxfordshire.
We are recruiting for a new Chair or Trustees to join our board.
We have a dynamic board of 4 Trustees, and an executive team of 5 members of Head Office staff including CEO, Director, Marketing, Fundraising and Administration. We employ the services of 16 self-employed, qualified Therapists who deliver the sessions to children through Clear Sky. Our annual turnover is around £200,000. We require a new Chair to head up our board of Trustees, overseeing the growth of the organisation alongside our 3 year plan with the vision of supporting more children and families through the expansion of our work.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- To lead, guide and direct the governance process of the Board of Trustees focusing on Clear Sky’s mission, vision and strategic direction.
- To enable and support Trustees to fulfil their responsibilities for overall governance and strategic direction by playing a key part in the decision-making process on strategic and major operational issues.
- To ensure Clear Sky is run in accordance with its constitution, policies and legislation.
- To devise agendas for Board meetings in collaboration with the CEO.
- To distribute agendas and previous meetings’ minutes to agreed timescales.
- To chair board meetings which encourage participation, measured decision making and focussed debate.
- To be the board’s main point of contact.
- To develop a positive, collaborative relationship with the CEO, including acting as a sounding board and mentor.
- To conduct performance and compensation reviews with the CEO including eliciting feedback from board and delivering constructively.
- To participate in the identification of gaps within the Trustee board and support the recruitment of new board members and any key senior roles within Clear Sky.
- To be aware of the views of employees and volunteers.
- To represent the view of Clear Sky to the media where necessary.
What are we looking for?
Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our mission to help children who have experienced trauma. Experience, skills , and expertise in strategic thinking, and an interest in the well-being of children, as well as passion and empathy, combined with an in-depth understanding of our work and ambitions are particularly sought.
- Successful experience of operating within a board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Experience of chairing meetings.
- Performance management, financial control and planning.
- Reviewing, developing and implementing business strategies and policies.
- Change management.
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to achieve organisational objectives
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making.
- A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity.
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision
- Ability to formulate strategy and understand priorities.
- Ability to make constructive contribution to Clear Sky’s key objectives and strategies.
- Commercial and financial acumen.
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Preparedness to make recommendations to the board, and a willingness to speak their mind with diplomacy
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and CEO.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills.
- A positive and ‘can-do’ outlook as well as a sense of humour.
What difference will you make?
Clear Sky require a Chair who is committed to the wellbeing of children and young people, and who is able to see the bigger vision at all times.
The new Chair will be coming in at an exciting time for Clear Sky as we bring together our three year business plan detailing the growth and expansion of our services for the foreseeable future, alongside a much bigger 5 – 10 year vision. The Chair will be instrumental in helping us not only lay solid foundations for the short term success of the charity, but will also be securing Clear Sky’s future for many years to come.
We have plans to set up a trading activity within the charity which is linked to our primary objectives, and we have the vision of becoming a self-sustaining charity in the very near future.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
The position of Chair within Clear Sky will provide the right candidate with an intellectual and strategic challenge. The Chair is an all important role and we are looking for the right candidate to help steer the charity in the right direction with confidence and commitment.
This position would suit someone who is looking to work closely with a friendly team including working closely alongside the Founder/CEO and other Trustees.
Please see attached Chair Vacancy Description and Person Specification.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to Sophia Giblin email@example.com. Deadline for applications is 5th March 2018.