Clear Sky have an exciting opportunity for a new Chair of the board of Trustees. The Chair role is an important position within the charity and we are looking for someone very special to fill the role! Could it be you? Read on to find out more!
Clear Sky provide specialist Play & Creative Arts Therapy services to children, parents and teachers in schools in the South East. Our Head Office is located in Little Wittenham, South Oxfordshire.
We have a dynamic board of 4 Trustees. Our Trustees are
- John Lubbock OBE, Artistic Director of the Orchestra of St John and founder of Music for Autism.
- Mark Tapscott, Tesla UK & Co-Founder of Clear Sky
- Nicole McDonnell, formerly Ella’s Kitchen and branding/marketing consultant
- Graham Cooper, qualified Management Accountant (Treasurer)
Within Head Office are an executive team of 7 members of Head Office staff including Founder, Director, Marketing, Fundraising and Administration. We employ the services of 18 self-employed, qualified Therapists who deliver the therapy sessions to children through Clear Sky. Our annual turnover is around £250,000.
We have the support of Knox & Eames Accountants who provide support to Clear Sky pro bono, including the creation of annual accounts and submission of documents to Companies House and the Charity Commission.
We require a new Chair to head up our board of Trustees, supporting the growth of the organisation alongside our 3 year plan with the vision of supporting more children and families through the expansion of our services. We are a national charity with a global ambition!
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- To lead, guide and direct the Board of Trustees focusing on Clear Sky’s mission, vision and strategic direction.
- To enable and support Trustees to fulfil their responsibilities for overall governance and strategic direction by playing a key part in the decision-making process on strategic and major operational issues.
- To ensure Clear Sky is run in an ethical manner in accordance with its constitution, policies and legislation.
- To work closely with the charity Founder as a sounding board and mentor to help steer Clear Sky in the right direction as we plan growth to help more children and families.
- To participate in the identification of gaps within the Trustee board and support the recruitment of new board members and any key senior roles within Clear Sky.
- To devise agendas for Board meetings in collaboration with the Founder/Charity Director
- To chair board meetings which encourage participation, measured decision making and focussed debate.
- To be the board’s main point of contact.
- To conduct performance and compensation reviews with the Founder including eliciting feedback from board and delivering constructively.
- To be aware of the views of employees and volunteers.
- To represent the view of Clear Sky to the media where necessary.
What are we looking for?
Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our mission to help children who have experienced trauma. Experience and expertise in strategic thinking, and an interest in the well-being of children, as well as passion and empathy, combined with an in-depth understanding of our work and ambitions are particularly sought.
- Successful experience of operating within a board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Experience of chairing meetings.
- Performance management, financial control and planning.
- Reviewing, developing and implementing business strategies and policies.
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making.
- A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity.
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills.
- A positive and ‘can-do’ outlook as well as a sense of humour.
- Ability to formulate strategy and understand priorities.
- Ability to make constructive contribution to Clear Sky’s key objectives and strategies.
- Commercial and financial acumen.
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Preparedness to make recommendations to the board, and a willingness to speak their mind with diplomacy.
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
What difference will you make?
Our new Chair will be coming in at an exciting time for Clear Sky as we bring together our three year business plan detailing the growth and expansion of our services for the foreseeable future, alongside a much bigger 5 – 10 year vision. The Chair will be instrumental in helping us not only lay solid foundations for the short term success of the charity, but will also be securing Clear Sky’s future for many years to come. Your support will allow Clear Sky to touch the lives of thousands of children across the next 3 years.
We aim to become a self-sustaining charity in the very near future through the development of our products and services for children and families.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
The position of Chair within Clear Sky will provide the right candidate with an intellectual and strategic challenge. The Chair is an all important role and we are looking for the right candidate to help steer the charity in the right direction with confidence and commitment.
This position would suit someone who is looking to ‘give back’, who is passionate about the welfare of children and who has skills that would be instrumental in helping us achieve our ambitious goals. The role involves working with a friendly team including working closely alongside the Founder and other Trustees.
The Trustees meet bi-monthly for a 2 hour meeting at a convenient location. The commitment would be around 4 hours per month to include meetings, a monthly conversation with the Founder and other ad-hoc work (i.e. setting agendas etc.) Clear Sky admin team support with the distribution of agendas, minutes and documents for the meetings.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to Sophia Giblin email@example.com.