Clear Sky are looking for a passionate and knowledgeable Treasurer to join our board.
What will you be doing?
We provide specialist Play & Creative Arts Therapy services to children, parents and teachers in schools across Oxon and Bucks. Our office is located in Little Wittenham, South Oxfordshire.
We are recruiting for a new Treasurer to join our board from March 2018.
We have a dynamic board of 4 Trustees, and an executive team of 4 employed members of Head Office staff including CEO, Director, Marketing and Administration. We employ the services of 15 self-employed, qualified Therapists who deliver the sessions to children through Clear Sky. Our annual turnover is around £200,000. We require a Treasurer to help support us in the growth of the organisation alongside our 3 year plan with the vision of supporting more children and families through the expansion of our work.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts, financial statements and financial reports to the Board of Trustees after discussion with the CEO
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs and are within the charities objects
- Development and implementation of appropriate financial, reserves policy and investment policies
- Liaising with the CEO and Chair of Trustees about financial matters
- Supporting the CEO in preparation of annual budgets
- Supporting the CEO in preparation of 3 – 5 year budgets for fundraising plans
- Presentation of year on year and year to date financial information against the annual budget at Trustee meetings
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Liaising with the charity’s accountants where appropriate
- Liaising with the Chair of Trustees, Charity Director and the accountants to ensure that the charity’s annual accounts are compliant with the current Charities SORP
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
What are we looking for?
Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our mission to help children who have experienced trauma. Experience, skills and expertise in finance, an interest in the well-being of children combined with an in-depth understanding of our work and ambitions are particularly sought.
- Successful experience of operating within a board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Preparedness to make recommendations to the board and a willingness to speak their mind with diplomacy
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and CEO
- Ability to use Quickbooks accounting software desirable
What difference will you make?
Clear Sky require a Treasurer who is committed to the wellbeing of children and young people, and who is able to see the bigger vision at all times.
With solid financial controls and support in place the charity can focus it’s time and attention to supporting those we are established to serve and who are in need – children who have experienced trauma. We have a robust business model that allows for the expansion of our services to help more children in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties. Without a dedicated in-house finance function, the Clear Sky Treasurer has a hands on and varied role working closely with the Charity CEO and Director to set budgets, fundraising targets and to oversee the financial activities of the organisation.
The new Treasurer will be coming in at an exciting time for Clear Sky as we bring together our three year business plan detailing the growth and expansion of our services for the foreseeable future, alongside a much bigger 5 – 10 year vision. The Treasurer will be instrumental in helping us not only lay solid foundations for the short term success of the charity, but will also be securing Clear Sky’s future for many years to come.
We have plans to set up a trading activity within the charity which is linked to our primary objectives, and we have the vision of becoming a self-sustaining charity in the very near future.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
The position of Treasurer within Clear Sky will provide the right candidate with an intellectual challenge, including aligning the finances of the charity with a 3 year strategy and supporting the implementation of that strategy with the executive team.
This position would suit someone who is looking to work closely with a friendly team including working closely alongside the Founder/CEO and other Trustees.
The Treasurer position is instrumental to Clear Sky and can be the difference between the charity surviving year on year, to thriving and securing our future.
Please see attached Treasurer Vacancy Description and Person Specification.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to Sophia Giblin email@example.com. Deadline for applications is 26th Feb 2018.